UPDATE 8:57 a.m. (12/7/21): A Bonsack convenience store sustained tens of thousands of dollars in damages following an accidental fire Monday evening, according to Roanoke County fire officials.

The Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department says the blaze — which was reported shortly before 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 6 from the 3700 block of Challenger Avenue — was caused by the drink cooler and its associated components.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from the fire, but the department estimates the extent of the damage as approximately $40,000.


ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — The Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department is trying to figure out how a convenience store caught on fire Monday night.

According to fire crews, they responded at approximately 6:55 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 6 to a commercial structure fire in the 3700 block of Challenger Avenue in the Bonsack area. When units from Roanoke County Station 2 (Vinton) arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the doors of the convenience store and gas station.

Two employees and two customers were inside the store when it caught on fire. The customers told the employees about the fire and everyone was able to escape unharmed, according to fire officials.

Crews say they managed to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes and no one was hurt.

The store suffered interior smoke damage, but the Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office has yet to provide a cause or an estimate of the total damages for the fire.

The Botetourt County Department of Fire and EMS and Roanoke Fire-EMS helped fight the blaze.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list