UPDATE: Roanoke County family displaced after overnight chimney fire causes estimated $175,000 in damages

Roanoke Valley News

UPDATE 7:57 a.m.: The Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the overnight fire at a Cave Spring home did start in the chimney, resulting in an estimated $175,000 in damages.

However, thanks to functional fire alarms in the home, the family was alerted to the fire and able to evacuate safely.

ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A family of five — as well as a dog — is displaced after an early morning house fire in Roanoke County.

The Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department says crews were called to the 3300 block of Franklin Street in the Cave Spring area for the report of a chimney fire at approximately 1:30 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 26.

When first responders arrived on scene, they found heavy fire and smoke showing from the attic of a single-story, wood-frame home, according to the department.

The fire was reportedly brought under control in about an hour. Fire officials say the fire appears to have started in the chimney and extended to the attic and the roof of the home, resulting in extensive damage to the house.

Two adults, three children, and a dog all evacuated the home safely without any reports of injuries, the department says. The family will be displaced, but they will reportedly will stay with family in the area.

The Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office is on scene to investigate and estimate damages.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form