ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Several people are displaced and an apartment complex sustained tens of thousands of dollars in damages after a small fire broke out in Roanoke County Thursday afternoon.
At approximately 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 23, the Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department says units responded to a report of a commercial fire alarm at the 100 block of Hershberger Road in the North County area.
Upon their arrival, crews located a small fire on a stovetop of one apartment in the Edinburgh Square apartment complex.
According to the department, the stovetop fire was contained by the building’s sprinkler system. However, that sprinkler system resulted in approximately $75,000 in water damage to the multi-story apartment complex.
Fire officials say the American Red Cross is assisting the people who were displaced from multiple units in the building because of the water damage.