Crews use chimney fire to instill importance in proper cleaning, maintenance before lighting your fireplace

Roanoke Valley News

As crews battled a chimney fire in Botetourt County, they also urged everyone to have their chimneys properly cleaned on a regular basis. (Image courtesy of the Botetourt County Department of Fire & EMS).

BOTETOURT COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – On Sunday, Botetourt County fire crews worked to extinguish a chimney fire in the 600 block of Sunset Avenue in Troutville.

They used the incident as a learning tool for citizens to have their chimney properly cleaned on a regular basis.

Department officials also urge everyone – even if you don’t have a fireplace – to have a working smoke detector on each floor and near all sleeping areas to help reduce the risk of becoming trapped should a fire occur.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on [Apple] and [Android]

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form