LEXINGTON, Va., (WFXR) — On Friday morning at Virginia Military Institute (VMI), Cadet Kasey Meredith ’22 officially became the first female to lead the Corps of Cadets in the school’s 182-year history.
During the Change of Command Parade on Friday, May 14, outgoing regimental commander Troy Smith ’21 handed the colors to VMI Superintendent Maj. Gen. Cedric T. Wins ’85, who then gave the colors to Meredith, the new regimental commander, according to VMI’s graduation page.
As military commander of the Corps of Cadets, school officials say Meredith is responsible to the Commandant of Cadets for the training, appearance, discipline, health, welfare, and morale of the Corps.
If you missed the Change of Command Parade Friday morning, you can watch it on VMI’s YouTube page.
In addition, during the name reading at 1 p.m. and the Memorial Parade at 2 p.m. on Friday, VMI says the Corps of Cadets will honor the 592 VMI cadets and alumni who have been killed in action. Wreaths will also be placed by plaques naming those alumni.
These are just two the events lined up over the next few days for VMI’s spring graduation. The other events are listed below:
- Saturday, May 15:
- 9 a.m.: Joint Commissioning at Foster Stadium for ticket holders only
- 2 p.m.: Institute Awards at Foster Stadium
- Sunday, May 16
- 8 a.m.: Post will be open to parents and other visitors
- 9:30 a.m.: Foster Stadium will be open to parents and guests
- 11 a.m.: Commencement at Foster Stadium, which will be livestreamed at this link