UPDATE: Businesses back open at Salem strip mall on Electric Road after gas leak

Roanoke Valley News

(Photo: Courtesy Salem Fire and EMS Department)

UPDATE 9:37 a.m.: Salem fire officials say all businesses at a strip mall along Electric Road are back open after first responders cleared the scene of a gas leak Tuesday morning.

The Salem Fire and EMS Department says that a vendor at a restaurant was cleaning a cooking appliance and did not re-ignite the appliance’s pilot system, allowing natural gas to slowly leak into the atmosphere.


SALEM, Va. (WFXR) — First responders are currently at a strip mall along Electric Road in Salem to handle a report of a gas leak.

According to a tweet from the Salem Fire and EMS Department just after 9:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 31, units responded to the 100 block of Electric Road for a gas leak inside the strip mall.

The department says that several busineses have temporarily evacuated in order to allow crews to identify the source of the leak and isolate it.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form