BUENA VISTA, Va. (WFXR) – Caller ID spoofing is an annoying scam that has likely plagued you or someone you know. It happens when you get a call from a scammer and the caller ID shows a number that is different from the scammer’s in an effort to hide their identity.
Officials with the town of Buena Vista have issued several tips to avoid becoming a victim as scammers have ways of stealing your identity in an effort to get some sort of compensation.
- Do not answer a call from an unknown number. If you do answer, and the person on the other end is not who you expected, simply hang up the phone.
- If a caller asks you to press a button to stop receiving calls, just hang up.
- Never assume an unexpected call is legitimate. Hang up and call back using a number you can verify on a bill, a statement or an official website.
- Always be suspicious as scammers may become belligerent or harrassing. Remember, if an offer sounds too good to be true, it likely is.
- Never give out personal information to anyone over the phone to someone you do not know. This includes bank account information, Social Security Numbers or passwords, etc.
- Use extreme caution if you are pushed into making any sort of immediate payment.
- Ask your phone company for call blocking tools or apps.
- Report spoofing scams to the FCC and the FTC
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list