Basement fire in northwest Roanoke that displaced two was ‘intentionally set,’ officials say

Roanoke Valley News

ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — After a basement fire in northwest Roanoke Wednesday evening left two people displaced, fire officials determined that the fire was caused by a resident inappropriately using a pyrotechnic flare device.

According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews were dispatched shortly before 5:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 20, to a fire in the 3900 block of Grandview Avenue NW.

When units arrived, they reportedly found heavy smoke inside a residents before they located the fire in the basement.

While there are no reports of injuries resulting from the fire, the department says two residents were displaced because of the incident.

On Thursday, Jan. 21, Roanoke Fire-EMS announced the cause of the fire was deemed incendiary, adding that the fire started because of “a resident’s inappropriate use of a pyrotechnic flare device inside the basement of the home.”

Kristen Perdue with Roanoke Fire-EMS told WFXR News the device was actually a road flare.

Even though the Roanoke Fire Marshal’s Office has identified the individual, fire officials say no charges have been filed at this time.

According to the department, there is not any ongoing threat to the community.

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form