ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke first responders were dispatched to Valley View Mall early Tuesday morning after an accidental fire broke out at Lids.
According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews responded to the mall at approximately 3:20 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 12, for a fire alarm.
When units arrived, they found heavy water flowing and smoke coming from Lids inside Valley View Mall.
After personnel investigated, the department says they discovered a fire had started in the bathroom’s vent fan before dropping burning material onto flammable materials that were stored in the bathroom.
Even though the sprinkler system was activated before firefighters arrived and extinguished the flames, fire officials say units worked to mitigate the damage from the water as much as possible until they turned the scene over to property maintenance.
There are no reports of injuries resulting from this fire, which Roanoke Fire-EMS says was determined to be accidental.
- Sunday’s COVID-19 numbers: 1,736 new cases; 170 new virus-related deaths as of Sunday
- Recent brush fires act as reminder of state law mandating no outdoor burning before 4 p.m.
- FDA authorizes Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine
- Ferrum man dies in crash on Route 40 in Franklin County
- Pinpoint Weather: Showers gradually taper off, more rain expected overnight into Monday morning