Accidental fire breaks out at Lids inside Valley View Mall Tuesday morning

Roanoke Valley News

ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Roanoke first responders were dispatched to Valley View Mall early Tuesday morning after an accidental fire broke out at Lids.

According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, crews responded to the mall at approximately 3:20 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 12, for a fire alarm.

When units arrived, they found heavy water flowing and smoke coming from Lids inside Valley View Mall.

After personnel investigated, the department says they discovered a fire had started in the bathroom’s vent fan before dropping burning material onto flammable materials that were stored in the bathroom.

Even though the sprinkler system was activated before firefighters arrived and extinguished the flames, fire officials say units worked to mitigate the damage from the water as much as possible until they turned the scene over to property maintenance.

There are no reports of injuries resulting from this fire, which Roanoke Fire-EMS says was determined to be accidental.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form