Roanoke County residence sustains smoke damage after stove left on, officials say

Local News

ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A Roanoke County residence sustained smoke damage after a Sunday morning fire, but thanks to their functioning

The Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department says units from Back Creek and Cave Spring were dispatched to a report of a residential structure fire on Masons View Lane around 6:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 10. The first units on the scene found smoke in the basement of the house, but they brought the fire under control in about five minutes, according to the department.

Officials say there are no reports of injuries, and even though two adults were asleep in the house when the smoke alarms went off, they both woke up and evacuated safely.

According to authorities, the fire was accidental and resulted from a stove being left on in the basement. While the house did sustain some smoke damage, the department says the family will not be displaced.

“Please remember to have working smoke alarms in your home!!” Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department wrote on Facebook.

Latest Stories

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form