ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) – Tuesday night, at the monthly school board meeting, the Roanoke City School Board announced the appointment of Verletta White as the new Superintendent of Roanoke City Schools.
White is coming to Roanoke from Baltimore where she served in a variety of roles in her education career including teacher, principal, assistant superintendent, executive director of professional development, chief academic officer and interim superintendent of the 25th largest school district in the country.
“Verletta White was an exceptionally strong candidate and we were delighted that she applied for this position. She has served as interim superintendent of a large and successful urban and suburban school district. She is a mother, a teacher, a principal, and an inspirational organizational leader. In her nearly 30-year career, she has continuously demonstrated excellence in curriculum, personnel, and fiscal management. And she came with glowing recommendations from a wide variety of stakeholders who all championed her work and her positive impact on children.”Mark Cathey, Roanoke City School Board Chair
White begins her term on July 1 by replacing Superintendent Dr. Rita Bishop who has held the position for the last 13 years.
Parents and community members are encouraged to learn more about Superintendent Verletta White by visiting the “Meet the New Superintendent website by clicking here.
- Woman killed in shooting in Lynchburg, one person in custody
- Dog stolen from Campbell County Animal Shelter safely returned, ready to start medical treatment, authorities say
- Confederate monument in Isle of Wight staying put for now, as board appoints task force to study future
- Tracking the Tropics: Teddy is now a Category 4 hurricane; depression forms in the Gulf
- Scammers are exploiting this PayPal policy to rip off online shoppers, BBB says