ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Census workers in Roanoke will begin to follow up with households that have not yet responded to the 2020 census starting Thursday.
The response rate for the 2020 census is at 67.7 percent in Virginia. The local response rate includes:
- Alleghany County: 61.1%
- Botetourt County: 72.4%
- Covington: 59.9%
- Craig County: 57%
- Lynchburg: 64.4%
- Roanoke City: 62.4%
- Roanoke County: 77.1%
- Salem: 73%
The census impacts communities in many ways – from congressional representation to funds for schools, roads, and first responders. The U.S. Census Bureau is ending all counting efforts for the 2020 census on September 30, a month sooner than previously announced, the bureau’s director confirmed Monday in a statement.
The census can be completed by mail, online, or by phone. It’s available in 13 different languages.
- Pinpoint Weather: Windy and Cold Overnight, Dry and Brisk Thursday
- Subaru recalling nearly 875K vehicles over engine, suspension issues
- Virginia agrees to absentee ballot option for blind voters
- Number of confirmed, pending COVID-19 hospitalizations jumps from 131 to 154 around ‘near Southwest’ Virginia
- Rosie’s celebrating two years in Virginia with special rewards, discounts on Friday