ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — WFXR spoke with Director of Marketing Brad Boettcher at the Roanoke-Blacksburg Airport, who says they discovered a sinkhole about six feet wide at their location.
The sinkhole was originally three feet wide and grew to six feet in about an hour.
Boettcher tells WFXR one Delta flight has been affected by the hole and had to divert back to Atlanta. No other flights are experiencing delays.
The operations and air field maintenance team are working together to solve the issue.
In March, the airport experienced a 50 percent deficit in the number of passengers from the 2019 March numbers. During the month of April, this deficit increased to 97 percent.
The airport says its gradually regaining passengers, with over 200 passengers in the past two days.
- A personal story of domestic abuse and the organization that helped
- ‘We deserve to be heard’: Man on mission to make voting accessible to Americans with disabilities
- Homestead Creamery issues voluntary recall of glass bottle products due to sanitation process issue
- Black and Blue Kickoff Live: Panthers consider return of Christian McCaffrey ahead of Thursday game
- Tracking the Tropics: Hurricane Zeta crashes onshore in storm-weary Louisiana