ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — WFXR spoke with Director of Marketing Brad Boettcher at the Roanoke-Blacksburg Airport, who says they discovered a sinkhole about six feet wide at their location.
The sinkhole was originally three feet wide and grew to six feet in about an hour.
Boettcher tells WFXR one Delta flight has been affected by the hole and had to divert back to Atlanta. No other flights are experiencing delays.
The operations and air field maintenance team are working together to solve the issue.
In March, the airport experienced a 50 percent deficit in the number of passengers from the 2019 March numbers. During the month of April, this deficit increased to 97 percent.
The airport says its gradually regaining passengers, with over 200 passengers in the past two days.
- ‘Park It on the Market’ school supply drive kicks off in downtown Roanoke Friday
- Ohio Gov. DeWine negative for coronavirus in second test
- Longtime Salem music repair shop closing in August
- Part of Langhorne Road in Lynchburg closed following overnight crash
- Caught on video: Half-naked Louisiana man punches 72-year-old Walmart employee