HENRY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – Search warrants reveal new details after a pregnant woman died from her injuries after being shot in the face Tuesday night outside a residence in Fieldale.
Krystal Anne McReynolds, 34, of Bassett, was taken to Sovah Health in Martinsville and transferred to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital from life-threatening injuries, where she later died. According to the Henry County Sheriff’s Office, McReynolds was approximately four to five months pregnant but lost the unborn child.
The suspect, Thomas Christopher McDowell, 35, of Fieldale was arrested and charged with second-degree murder along with:
- Aggravated malicious wounding
- Use of a firearm during the commission of a felony
- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
- Use of a firearm during the commission of murder.
According to search warrants obtained at the Henry County General District Court, responding officers arrived at a residence located on 60 Fourth Street and located Reynolds on the porch with a gunshot wound to the face. A lieutenant spoke with McReynolds before rescue units arrived. When asked who shot her, McReynolds identified the shooter as McDowell, as well as identifying him through a photograph obtained by the lieutenant.
The warrants said the bullet traveled through McReynold’s left cheek and lodged in her right lateral side of her neck area, according to Sovah Health.
The body of McReynolds and the unborn child has been taken to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Roanoke to determine the cause of death. The autopsy is expected to be complete Friday, Feb. 20.
It the relationship between the suspect and the victim is unknown.
McDowell has prior criminal history, including intent to commit larceny or assault, possession of weapon capable of death/injury by prisoner, and violation of probation in Floyd County.
An appointment hearing was scheduled Feb. 19. McDowell has requested an attorney.
A bond hearing is scheduled for Feb. 21 at 3:15 p.m.
His preliminary hearing is set for April 16 at 3 p.m at the Henry County General District Court, located at 3160 Kings Mountain Rd in Martinsville.
Anyone with information about this ongoing investigation is asked to call the Henry County Sheriff’s Office at (276) 638-8751.
- Lawmakers pass COVID-19 workers’ compensation bills
- Endangered right whale found dead off South Carolina beach
- Nearly 4 million Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine doses head out across US
- Virginia’s law banning no-knock warrants now in effect
- Northam ‘welcomes’ investigation into draft report on Va. Parole Board as IG says governor’s office never got a copy