UPDATE 1:07 p.m.: After a tanker truck crash and fire that took place along Route 460 in Giles County Sunday night, VDOT says the traffic along that road will only have one lane each way in order to allow crews to make repairs on the westbound lanes.
According to VDOT, the closure is in place near the intersection of Route 460 and Route 643, approximately five miles east of the West Virginia border.
While VDOT crews continue to assess the damage and repair the westbound lanes, two-way traffic is reportedly being split between the eastbound lanes.
Depending on the weather, VDOT expects the westbound lanes will reopen either later Monday or on Tuesday. Officials say the tanker fire damaged a section of pavement in the westbound lanes, which means crews will need to remove and replace that pavement before the lanes can reopen to traffic.
GILES COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Monday morning motorists may see some delays in Giles County due to lane closures U.S. Route 460 (Virginia Avenue) throughout the day.
According to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), from 3:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 28, motorists can expect potential delays along U.S. Route 460 near State Line Road and Route 643 in Giles County.
VDOT says all westbound lanes are closed in this area, with westbound motorists being diverted onto one of the eastbound lanes.
- VP Pence’s top aide tests positive for coronavirus
- Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to intensify into hurricane as it enters Gulf
- Sunday COVID-19 Update: 999 new cases, one new death in Virginia from Carroll County
- Saturday evening shooting leaves one dead in Roanoke
- Pinpoint Weather: Rain slowly exits Sunday, eyes on western Caribbean as Zeta is born