The health department did not specify in which city or county the investigation was taking place. Another possible case is under investigation in Northern Virginia.
A total of six cases have been investigated across Virginia in recent months, though all have tested negative for coronavirus.
Tens of thousands of people have been diagnosed worldwide since the outbreak began in China.
Local hospitals are preparing for the spread of coronavirus. LewisGale Regional Health System told WFXR that its staff was in regular contact with the Virginia Department of Health and other healthcare providers.
“LewisGale Regional Health System uses a ‘First Point of Contact’ admission assessment to screen all patients for signs of active infections (fever, cough, sore throat, etc.) as well as any recent international travel. Additionally, we’ve adopted CDC guidelines for Evaluating and Reporting patients for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). At the same time, our Infection Prevention team is communicating regularly with the Virginia Department of Health, other Regional Healthcare Facilities, and our Corporate partners. And at all LewisGale facilities, we’ve developed and posted signage to aid patients and staff in recognizing potentially infectious individuals.”Nancy May
Market Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Lewis Gale Regional Health System
Carilion Clinic is also working with authorities “monitor and prepare for any potential COVID-19 patients in our region.”
“Our top priority is the safety of patients, staff and our community. As always, we are working closely with partners in our local health departments, the Virginia Department of Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to monitor and prepare for any potential COVID-19 patients in our region.
Out of an abundance of caution several weeks ago, we proactively enacted enhanced screening procedures system-wide to identify patients who visit our hospitals and clinics with flu-like symptoms. Precautions include but are not limited to:
· A travel questionnaire similar to those used during previous travel-related outbreaks, including specific questions about travel to affected areas by the patient and/or people close to them in the weeks preceding their symptoms
· Face masks for patients who have a fever and/or certain symptoms such as a cough or difficulty breathing
Should a patient screen positive based on the previous criteria, we have set protocols in place to manage care safely and effectively for that patient and staff, all the while keeping local health authorities in the loop.”Dr. Anthony Baffoe-Bonnie
Carilion Infection Prevention and Control
Counties classified as Southwest Virginia by the Virginia Department of Health include Alleghany, Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Bland, Botetourt, Buchanan, Campbell, Carroll, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Franklin, Giles, Grayson, Henry, Lee, Montgomery, Patrick, Pittsylvania, Pulaski, Roanoke, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe.
- Lynchburg crash closes road in Leesville Road area
- Congressman Cline takes to the streets with his family to participate in Roanoke’s virtual Drumstick Dash
- Here’s how drinking hot cocoa could make you smarter
- Here’s what is coming to Netflix – and what’s leaving – in December
- Is your Amazon Black Friday purchase a good deal? This tool will tell you if the price has been lower