UPDATE 3:35 p.m.: Roanoke County officials have reported the body of the baby that was found in a shopping bag was partially decomposed which is making it difficult for determination of the baby’s age and sex.
Officials say that are awaiting results from medical examiners for their report.
UPDATE 6 a.m.: Police say the woman, Mandy Lavonne Lacey, 34, was behaving erratically and assaulted one officer who was left with a minor injury.
Following Lacey’s arrest, police found the body of a baby in a shopping bag she had with her. Lacey is believed to be homeless and has now been charged with assaulting a police officer.
Additional charges are pending as the investigation continues.
ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Police are looking into the death of a child following a call to a Roanoke County mall Sunday afternoon.
According to Roanoke County Police Department, officers were dispatched to Tanglewood Mall at 3:20 p.m. on Sunday, July 19 after receiving a report of a female behaving strangely.
However, officers have now launched an investigation into the death of a child, the department says.
Detectives are on scene at this time, according to police.
This is a developing story.
- Pinpoint Weather: Cooler despite more sunshine
- Byrd’s ‘Terrier Thirteen’ taking their talents to the college level
- “The Big Lick Ruck” event brings awareness to military veteran suicides
- VCU calling for permanent ban of Delta Chi fraternity if misconduct allegations related to Adam Oakes’ death are verified
- South Carolina House votes to add firing squad to execution methods