UPDATE 8:50 a.m.: The Roanoke Police Department has launched a homicide investigation after a man was found shot and killed in southeast Roanoke early Tuesday morning.
The department says officers were notified of a person who had been shot in the 700 block of 4th Street SE just before 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 7.
When officers arrived, they found a man outside a business in the area — which police at the scene previously confirmed to WFXR News was PPG Paints — who had been shot. He was pronounced dead at the scene, but his identity will not be released until authorities notify his family.
According to police, nobody has been arrested in connection with this ongoing homicide investigation as of 8:37 a.m. on Tuesday.
If you have any information about this incident, call the Roanoke Police Department at (540) 344-8500 or send a text — starting with “RoanokePD” to ensure it’s sent properly — to 274637.
ROANOKE, Va. (WFXR) — Police are currently working the scene of a fatal shooting in southeast Roanoke early Tuesday morning.
According to the Roanoke Police Department, a person was shot and killed in the early morning hours on Tuesday, July 7 outside the PPG Paints store on 4th Street in southeast Roanoke.
There are no suspects in custody at this time, police say.
The department says 4th Street is closed from Elm Avenue to Bullitt Avenue while officers work the scene of the fatal shooting.
WFXR News is currently at the scene to get more information about the circumstances behind the shooting, as well as the identities of the victim and potential persons of interest.
- Police: One driver dead following crash between vehicle, bus in Lynchburg on Aug. 1
- 5.1 earthquake occurred near Sparta, NC; several report feeling quake in Southwest and Central Virginia
- VDH: Virginia’s total COVID-19 count surpasses 100,000 cases, reaches 2,326 deaths as of Sunday
- Flames schedule affected by MAC conference fall sports cancellation
- Liberty’s Gandy-Golden looks to leave his mark in D.C.