PATRICK COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – A teenager is dead following a crash between a dirt bike and a car in Patrick County Wednesday night.
According to Virginia State Police, the two-vehicle crash took place at 9:45 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24, just two tenths of a mile east of Route 844 along Route 57 in Patrick County.
A 2000 Chevrolet Lumina heading east on Route 57 reportedly came upon a 1996 Honda dirt bike, which was also heading east on Route 57. However, when the Chevrolet swerved to the left to avoid the dirt bike, police say the dirt bike swerved left at the same time to avoid the Chevrolet. According to officials, the Chevrolet hit the bike from behind, ejecting the driver.
Virginia State Police say the driver of the dirt bike — identified as 17-year-old Darren Leland Michaud of Stuart — was not wearing a helmet and died at the scene.
Meanwhile, the driver of the Chevrolet did not sustain any injuries.
The crash is part of an ongoing investigation.
- Three-hour wait at the polls for the last day of early voting
- Woman found dead inside Giles County home from alleged shooting
- Virginia Tech builds lead then holds on to down Louisville
- Burton wins 2nd straight to disrupt Xfinity Series playoffs
- Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence will not start against Notre Dame