MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A West Virginia man faces charges following a Sunday morning crash in Montgomery County that resulted in the death of a Virginia woman.
According to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, at 6:05 a.m. on Sunday, June 7, deputies were dispatched alongside Christiansburg first responders for a report of a single-vehicle crash with entrapment in the 1500 block of Ellett Road.
When deputies arrived at the scene — located approximately one mile outside Christiansburg — they found a 2017 Nissan Rogue that went over a steep embankment and struck a tree, the sheriff’s office says.
Authorities say the driver — 24-year-old Preston Conner Jones of Peterstown, West Virginia — was transported to the hospital with serious injuries. According to the sheriff’s office, Jones was charged with driving under the influence, but additional charges are pending.
Unfortunately, the passenger — identified as 24-year-old Mercedes Diane Scales, a former Christiansburg resident who relocated to Falls Church — died at the scene of the crash, authorities say.
The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and the New River Valley Regional Crash Investigation Team are currently investigating the crash.
- VDH: 856 new cases of coronavirus, 25 new deaths as of Sunday
- ‘Dewgarita’: How to make the Mountain Dew margarita Red Lobster’s now serving
- UVA identifies additional coronavirus cases in dorms after positive wastewater and individual tests
- Kanawha, Fayette, and Putnam counties move out of COVID-19 red tier
- Wythe County Sheriff’s Office investigates fatal shooting