An organization in Roanoke is working to give Christmas gifts to senior citizens in need who may feel alone during the holiday season.
Be a Santa to a Senior is put on by The Home Instead Senior Care Office serving Roanoke and the Smith Mountain Lake areas.
People can find a tree with names of those in need at a community partner location, such as Olive Garden, Valley View Mall and some other locations.
This year, the group is aiming to bring almost a thousand gifts to lonely seniors in the community.
The franchise owner for the Roanoke Home Instead office, Betsy Head says being in social isolation is bad for seniors both physically and mentally.
“This program breaks up the isolation and gives them something to look forward to at the Christmas holiday when so often seniors are forgotten,” said Head.
The tree locations include:
· Home Instead Senior Care – 6349 Peters Creek Road, Roanoke, VA 24019
· Crowning Touch Senior Moving Services – 6704 Williamson Rd., NW, Roanoke, VA 24019
· The Olive Garden Restaurant – 1925 Valleyview Blvd. NW, Roanoke, VA 24012
· Twin Creeks Brewing Company – 111 S. Pollard St., Vinton, VA 24179
· Richfield Retirement Community – 3615 W Main Street, Salem, VA 24153
· Cloverdale Post Office – 4518 Read Mountain Road, Cloverdale, VA 24077
· The Orchards Apartments – 5360 Orchards Hill Drive, Roanoke, VA 24019
· Local Office on Aging – 4932 Frontage Road, Roanoke, VA 24019
· Green Ridge Recreation Center – 7415 Wood Haven Road, Roanoke, VA 24019
· Brookdale Senior Living – 1127 Persinger Rd SW, Roanoke, VA 24015
For more information about the program and a complete list of tree locations, visit BeaSantatoaSenior.com or call (540) 966-399.
Anyone who grabbed a tag around the area is asked to turn their gift in by Monday.
The group is also looking for volunteers to deliver gifts.