Student facing charges for firearm threat that sent Giles High School into lockdown, authorities say

New River Valley News

GILES COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Two days after Giles High School went into lockdown for several hours following a student’s threat involving a weapon, the Giles County Sheriff’s Office announced charges against the minor.

Shortly before 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 10, the sheriff’s office says word came in from the Giles High School SRO that witnesses reported hearing a student talk about having a firearm on school grounds.

Deputies say they immediately responded to the high school — along with members of the Pearisburg Police Department — and the student was isolated from the rest of the school population within minutes of the initial report.

According to the sheriff’s office, students remained on lockdown until the canine units from Virginia State Police and the Virginia Tech Police Department arrived to search the campus for the firearm.

However, both the canine search and the follow-up investigation determined there was never a firearm on school grounds.

Authorities announced on Friday, Nov. 12 that a minor was charged with making threatening statements and disorderly conduct following the incident.

“We are proud of our partnership with Giles County Public Schools and the steps that we take each day to make sure our school communities are safe,” the Giles County Sheriff’s Office wrote on Facebook on Friday. “We are also grateful to the Pearisburg Police Department, Virginia State Police, Virginia Tech Police Department, and the Giles County Commonwealth Attorney’s Office for their assistance in this matter.”

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on [Apple] and [Android]

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form