PATRICK COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — FloydFest organizers say this year’s festival is officially sold out, with the event at 70 percent capacity, so they are prepared to hold a safe event despite the pandemic.
Last year, the event was canceled because of the pandemic. Organizers say that while last year would have been the 20th year for FloydFest, they are choosing to celebrate it as the 21st year.
Kris Hodges, FloydFest’s founding producer and Chief Creative Officer, told WFXR News that there were some delays, but nothing they could not handle. Hodges went on to say that staffing was not an issue since more than 200 volunteers showed up to make sure things went off without a hitch.
This year, the festival will have sanitization stations as well as a couple of other stipulations to keep attendees safe.
Organizers told WFXR News that they are excited to see the majority of people who bought tickets last year are choosing to return again this year.
“Eighty percent of our patrons [are] rolling their tickets over, trusting that we were going to move forward, and maintain, and stay the course, and provide an exceptional experience the following year,” Hodges said.
Festival organizers did offer a refund option for patrons who didn’t want to attend this year. For Montgomery County resident Bettye Epps, she told WFXR News that it was not an option.
“I rolled my ticket over so to make sure that I got my same spot and I didn’t miss a thing,” said Epps.
People who have not purchased their tickets will notice that prices have increased this year. According to organizers, prices went up roughly five to 10 percent, but this did not stop the event from selling out.
Organizers tell WFXR News that FloydFest, which runs from July 21-25, helps the region by contributing between three to four million dollars a year.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list