BLACKSBURG, Va. (WFXR) — Continuing parking and pedestrian impacts are ongoing in and around the Perry Street region due to the construction of the Blacksburg Transit Multi-Modal Transit Facility and the Chilled Water Infrastructure Project.
These impacts — including the closure of Perry Street and Stanger Street — began on Monday, May 17.
Commuters and pedestrians should use caution in this area and watch for traffic and pedestrian detour and construction signage.
Blacksburg officials are urging those in the area to find alternative routes when heading to the Virginia Tech campus which includes Alumni Mall, Kent Street, Washington Street and Southgate Drive.
Due to the chilled water project, additional street closures will impact the use of West Campus Drive.
Access to the Perry Street Garage will be available from Prices Fork Road, in both directions.
Perry Street will remain closed while Stanger Street is expected to reopen in mid-August once construction of the planned roundabout at Stanger and Perry Streets is complete.
Town officials say the following parking lots will be remaining closed:
- Surge Lot
- Perry Street Lot
- Prices Fork Lot
- Prices Fork Lot 6 (small portion of the lot is open for F/S; Perry Street Commuter parking)
- Perry Street Lot 1 (small portion of the lot is open for F/S; Perry Street Commuter parking)
- Perry Street Lot 2
Locations where you can park:
- Perry Street Garage (F/S; Perry Street Commuter); student spaces in the garage begin on level 3. The parking garage can be accessed from both directions on Prices Fork Road.
- Perry Street Lot 1 (portion of the lot – F/S; Perry Street Commuter). The lot can be accessed from West Campus Drive.
- Perry Street Lot 6 (portion of lot – F/S; Perry Street Commuter). The lot can be accessed from West Campus Drive.
ADA spaces are available at the following areas:
- All existing ADA spaces in the Perry Street Garage will be available.
- New ADA spaces will be available in the Perry Street Garage in two locations: Level 2 (ground level on the Prices Fork side closes to Goodwin Hall and on the first level (ground floor of the Perry Street side).
- The existing ADA spaces in front of Goodwin Hall will be replaced with the spaces above.
- The accessible pedestrian route from the Perry Street Garage to Goodwin Hall is located along Prices Fork Road and is marked by signage on-site.
- The accessible pedestrian route between Perry Street and Prices Fork Road is located between Goodwin Hall and the Perry Street Garage. The route is marked by signage on-site.
- There is also an accessible pedestrian route leading from the first floor of the garage across Perry Street to Bishop-Favrao Hall.
West Campus Drive Closures:
- Due to the chilled water infrastructure project:
- Between Wallace and Harper Halls is expected to be closed from May 17 to June 4.
- Between Wallace and Harper Halls is expected to be southbound only from June 4 to Aug. 6.
- Between Duck Pond Drive and Davidson Hall is expected to be northbound only from May 17 to June 30.