Improperly disposed cigarette leads to Monday night apartment fire in Montgomery County

New River Valley News

(Photo: Courtesy Montgomery County Emergency Services)

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — First responders from Christiansburg and Riner were sent to a structure fire Monday night that was caused by the incorrect disposal of a cigarette.

According to Montgomery County Emergency Services, members of the Christiansburg Volunteer Fire Department, Christiansburg Rescue, and the Riner Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched on Monday, Jan. 18, for a structure fire along Warren Street.

When crews arrived on scene, they reportedly found smoke in multiple apartments before they discovered fire in the wall of one of the units.

First responders quickly extinguished the fire without any reports of injuries, emergency officials say.

Montgomery County Emergency Services says the fire was caused by an improperly disposed cigarette.

This fire took place on the same night as a fatal house fire in northeast Roanoke, which fire officials determined was caused by the victim smoking while on oxygen.

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

News tips

Do you have a news tip or breaking news to share with WFXR?  Submit your tip here.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form