HILLSVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — The Hillsville Police Department has reported that two town residents were recently scammed out of several thousand dollars.
According to police, the phone scammers directed the victims to different local stores to purchase pre-paid cash cards. Once the victims gave the card numbers to the scammers, the money was immediately stolen.
Hillsville Police say many of these scams originate in foreign countries and are very difficult to investigate.
If you feel as though you are being scammed, contact your local police department or sheriff’s office before sending any money or giving away personal information.
- ‘Out on the town’: 200-pound tortoise back home after escaping Alabama pen
- Man charged in 2-month-old daughter’s death left trail of destruction
- Scientists remove 98 ‘murder hornets’ in Washington state
- Woman accused of impersonating prosecutor, attempting to drop her own case
- Body of missing hip-hop artist found in Virginia man’s car trunk after crash in Florida