HILLSVILLE, Va. (WFXR) — Whether you’re heading to the annual Hillsville Flea Market and Gun Show or just passing through the Carroll County area during your Labor Day weekend, you should be prepared for considerable traffic delays.
According to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), Hillsville’s popular annual event will be held from Friday, Sept. 3 through Monday, Sept. 6.
In fact, the 511 online traffic map already has “special event” icons along Route 58 and Route 52, warning motorists to expect potential backups from 6 a.m. on Friday until 6 p.m. on Monday.
“Thousands of visitors are expected to converge on a one-mile section of Route 58 Business in Hillsville. As a result, sidewalks will be crowded with pedestrians and bumper-to-bumper traffic will be moving at a crawl throughout the area,” VDOT’s Salem District said in a statement earlier this week. “Drivers should use extra caution, watch for police directing traffic and pay attention to electronic message boards in the area.”
The annual event attracts more than 2,000 vendors and nearly half a million visitors.
Meanwhile, the department encourages people not attending the flea market and gun show to avoid the area altogether.
Here is some important traffic information from VDOT for travelers to keep in mind:
- Interstate 77, exit 14 (Hillsville/Galax)
- Those planning to attend the Hillsville Flea Market and Gun Show are encouraged to take I-77 and use exit 14 onto Route 58 Business.
- Congestion is expected in this area along I-77 and police may be directing traffic at the exit 14 and Route 58 Business interchange to promote safe travel.
- Motorists should watch for stopped vehicles in this area.
- Route 58 Bypass’ western interchange with Route 58 Business
- Motorists using the western interchange of the Route 58 Bypass to exit onto Route 58 Business are asked to use use extreme caution and watch for heavy traffic congestion.
- Those not attending the Labor Day weekend event in Hillsville and traveling west on the Route 58 Bypass should use the left lane to avoid exiting vehicles.
- Drivers are asked not to park on the Route 58 Bypass or on the ramps onto Route 58 Business. There will be “No Parking” signs posted around the interchange.
- Route 52
- Route 52 event traffic can use Route T-780 (Howlett Street) or Route T-1020 (West Grayson Street).
- Northbound Route 52 traffic will not be permitted to turn left onto Route 58 Business West, but southbound Route 52 traffic will not be allowed to make right-on-red turns at the traffic signal onto Route 58 Business West.
- West Grayson Street
- No left turns will be allowed from Route T-1020 (West Grayson Street) onto Route 58 Business East.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list