Galax home ruled total loss, family displaced following Tuesday fire

New River Valley News

(Photo: Courtesy Galax Fire Department Facebook page)

GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — Officials say that a Galax house is a total loss after a fire broke out Tuesday morning, leaving a family of five without a home.

According to a Facebook post from the Galax Fire Department on Tuesday, Oct. 12, units were dispatched to a structure fire in the 200 block of Bedsaul Road at approximately 7:20 a.m.

When crews arrived at the scene, they found a fire blazing in a single-story, wood-frame residence with more than half of the roof already burned off and collapsed, which means the flames had been burning for a while before the fire was reported, the department says.

Fire officials say personnel brought the fire under control within 30 minutes, but they needed an extra 90 minutes to conduct overhaul and completely extinguish the flames, with some assistance from the Hillsville Fire Department and Pipers Gap Rescue Squad, Inc.

The department says crews determined that nobody was home at the time of the fire. There are also no reports of injuries.

Because of the extensive damage to the home, the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, according to fire officials.

The American Red Cross is reportedly helping the five people who were displaced as a result of this blaze.

“Prayers and support for this family are definitely needed and greatly appreciated!” the Galax Fire Department wrote on Facebook.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form