FLOYD COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Virginia State Police says a teen is dead after her vehicle crashed into a tree on Route 221 early Sunday morning in Floyd County.
According to police, the crash occurred just after 2:15 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 25, on Route 221 just north of Route 761 in Floyd County.
The driver, 18-year-old Katerina Renee Higgins of Willis, was driving a 1998 Ford Mustang when the vehicle ran off the left side of the road and struck a tree, according to Virginia State Police.
Higgins — who was not wearing a seatbelt — was ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene, police say.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Virginia State Police: Sheriff’s deputy fatally shot man while responding to report of domestic dispute
- Lynchburg crash closes road in Leesville Road area
- Congressman Cline takes to the streets with his family to participate in Roanoke’s virtual Drumstick Dash
- Here’s how drinking hot cocoa could make you smarter
- Here’s what is coming to Netflix – and what’s leaving – in December