GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — A family was displaced and a relative was injured after a structure fire and a vehicle crash took place within an hour of each other along Poplar Knob Road in Galax over the weekend.
According to a Facebook post from the Galax Fire Department on Sunday, Sept. 26, crews were dispatched at approximately 5:50 p.m. for a structure fire at 1790 Poplar Knob Road.
When units arrived at the scene, they found a flames consuming half of the structure, but personnel pulled three lines and — in the words of the department — “the fight was on!”
Galax fire officials say they received assistance from the Hillsville Fire Department, Fries Fire and Rescue, Pipers Gap Rescue Squad, Inc., and Galax-Grayson EMS for tanker support and because of the extensive overhaul needed to completely extinguish the fire.
All of the occupants were reportedly out of the home at the time of the fire. The American Red Cross is currently helping the displaced family of five.
In addition, the department wrote in Sunday’s Facebook post that three firefighters were evaluated at the scene of the fire for “various issues,” but did not share details about the firefighters’ conditions.
Fire officials say they believe the cause of the fire may have been related to a space heater.
Crews reportedly cleared the scene within approximately two hours.
However, while the fire was still ongoing, the department says an engine was diverted from the structure fire shortly after 6 p.m. for a vehicle crash at 1799 Poplar Knob Road, which involved a relative of the people living in the home on fire.
According to fire officials, the victim was reportedly ejected from the vehicle. The Pipers Gap Rescue Squad, Inc. brought the patient to meet the air transport from Wake Forest Baptist Health. There is no word on that person’s condition at this time.
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list
Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on Apple and Android.