CARROLL COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — With plenty of snow and ice still present around southwest Virginia after Sunday’s storm, those wintry conditions both challenged first responders and served as a tool for them while responding to an early morning mobile home fire in Carroll County.

According to the Galax Fire Department‘s Facebook post on Tuesday, Jan. 18, Crews were dispatched at approximately 5:21 a.m. for a structure fire in the 200 block of Farmington Road in the Hebron area.

When units arrived at the scene, they found flames moving up the outside wall and under the rear of a singlewide mobile home. However all occupants were out of the structure, the department says.

Officials say firefighters were slowed by slick road conditions, as well as an unclear edge and long driveway.

However, the department says command units who arrived early shoveled snow onto the fire to hold it in check while other personnel handled the driveway. A booster line was then pulled to finish extinguishing the fire.

“Members played groundhog underneath the mobile home, laying in water and mud, to pull smoldering insulation and check for extension,” the Galax Fire Department wrote on Facebook. “This was simply a miracle in that the fire under the trailer was held in check when the fire melted a water line.”

The occupants of the mobile home — including one who woke up because their throat was burning — are displaced and will be staying with family, according to fire officials.

The fire was caused by a short in an extension cord, which is why the department urges community members to check all cords and not to overload circuits.