GALAX, Va. (WFXR) – Early Sunday morning, Galax fire crews battled a blaze at a single-family home, but the family still lost everything but the pajamas they were wearing.

According to the Galax Fire Department, units were dispatched to the 2300 block of Beach Grove Lane shortly before 3 a.m. for a structure fire. When they arrived at the scene, they found a 1,500-square-foot home fully involved in flames, but the family and pets were in the yard.

Fire crews were able to extinguish two vehicles next to the home before focusing on the house.

The fire was so intense that they battled the blaze in defensive mode until the main body of the home as well as the chimney was pushed over with streams until entry was safely made.

According to Galax fire officials, several agencies helped with the battle against the blaze, including the Independence Volunteer Fire Department; Galax-Grayson EMS, who evaluated one person for smoke inhalation, but did not need to transport that person to the hospital; Twin County E-911; and AEP, who helped “kill a downed line hampering the firefight.”

Meanwhile, Glade Creek Volunteer Fire Department helped cover for the Galax station.

The American Red Cross is helping the family of five who lost everything in the home.