GALAX, Va. (WFXR) — A Patrick County man is dead after apparently being electrocuted in an industrial accident in Galax on Tuesday.
The Galax Police Department told WFXR News that 23-year-old Donte Thompson of Ararat, was delivering feed to Southern States-Galax Cooperative on Meadow Street for a company in North Carolina on Tuesday, Dec. 1.
According to police, Thompson’s feed truck had a large auger boom that extended up from the truck and was elevated in order to drop the feed into large silos. However, the boom made contact with a nearby, high-voltage power line carrying approximately 69,000 volts of electricity, officials say.
Thompson was found unresponsive but not in contact with the truck, which was still in contact with the powerline through the boom, according to the department. First responders reportedly moved him away from the truck and began to perform CPR.
However, police say Thompson was pronounced dead at approximately 5 p.m. at Twin County Regional Hospital.
Appalachian Power deenergized the powerline — which was damaged, not broken — so they could lower the boom, but officials say the incident resulted in some outages in the area because the powerline was connected to a nearby substation.
- Why knowing your food is “100% grown on American soil” is so important with Pictsweet Farms
- Former Northside, Virginia Tech soccer player Daniel Pereira selected first overall in MLS SuperDraft
- Bills among the NFL’s 4 defenses peaking in the postseason
- Helping our relatives stay connected during quarantine with Orchard Info
- Prepping your garden for the springtime with Virginia Cooperative Extension