CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (WFXR) — A Christiansburg man’s long-awaited trial was held Monday relating to events that surrounded the death of a two-year-old.
McKenzie Hellman, the boyfriend of Kayla Thomas, was in court on Monday, March 15 for charges stemming from the death of Thomas’ two-year-old son, Steven Meek II.
Hellman was indicted last January on counts including possessing, producing, and reproducing child pornography, as well as the abuse and murder of Meek.
During Monday’s trial, a Montgomery County jury recommended Hellman should receive two life sentences plus 45 years in prison for his role in the sexual abuse of the two-year-old child.
Police say Meek was physically and sexually abused by both Hellman and Thomas in January of 2019.
On Monday, the jury convicted Hellman of the following charges.
- Accessory before the fact of object sexual penetration of the child
- Accessory before the fact for forcible sodomy of someone less than 13 years old
- Accessory before the fact of producing child pornography
- Accessory before the fact for distribution of child pornography
- Possessing child pornography
Hellman also faces murder charges in the child’s death.
Kayla Thomas is set to stand trial on similar charges in June.