UPDATE 9:57 a.m.: Montgomery County Emergency Services provided additional details — as well as video footage — of the tractor-trailer fire that closed down I-81 North in Montgomery County Tuesday morning.
According to emergency officials, members of the Elliston Volunteer Fire Department and the Shawsville Volunteer Rescue Squad responded to a reported vehicle fire at mile marker 124.8 on I-81 North shortly before 3:45 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 29.
However, after the Elliston Fire Chief arrived on scene and found the cab of a tractor-trailer fully involved, Montgomery County Emergency Services says Christiansburg Volunteer Fire Department was asked for assistance.
First responders reportedly managed to quickly knock the fire down before it spread to the trailer. In addition, there are no reports of injuries resulting from this incident.
You can watch the footage of the tractor-trailer fire here:
UPDATE 6:30 a.m.: The vehicle fire shutting down all northbound lanes of I-81 in Montgomery County Tuesday has been cleared.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A vehicle fire in Montgomery County is closing all northbound lanes of I-81 Tuesday morning.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) says the vehicle fire is at mile marker 124.8.
Traffic backups are approximately 1.5 miles, according to VDOT. Traffic is being detoured off of I-81 North at exit 118, onto US-460, then back onto I-81 at exit 128.
This is a developing news story. Stay with WFXR news for updates.
- Advocates gunning for Title 42, Operation Lone Star after court strikes down MPP
- West Virginia lawmakers to provide clarity on Roe v. Wade
- ‘This … sucks and you don’t want it’: Monkeypox patient opens up about his ordeal
- Brittney Griner trial begins: Pressure grows for officials to negotiate WNBA star’s release from Russia
- West Virginia Lottery players can now purchase tickets with a credit or debit card