PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — The two people found dead in a vehicle on West Gretna road on Wednesday morning, with an unharmed baby inside, died from a murder-suicide.
According to the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, Patrica Harris Towler, 43, died from a gunshot wound. Dane Clarke Towler, 50, died of suicide by a gunshot wound. The Medical Examiner confirmed their identities and causes of death on Thursday, the sheriff’s office said.
The sheriff’s office said the shootings happened on the 1300 block of West Gretna Road/ U.S. Highway 40 West. Then, the vehicle rolled across U.S. Highway 40 West and came to rest near a home. Authorities found the bodies around 11:40 a.m.
An infant inside of the car where the pair died, was unharmed. The sheriff’s office notified the Social Services of the baby, who then placed the infant in the custody of a family member.
Investigators believe this to be an act of domestic violence and are interviewing friends and relatives to determine a motive.
If you have any information about this ongoing investigation, call Captain Corey Webb at (434) 432-7800.
- Botetourt County leaders accept committee’s report on confederate monument, further discussions expected
- Sen. Patrick Leahy taken to hospital
- In-home daycare operator in Norfolk charged with murder in 2-year-old girl’s death
- Virginia’s only private prison is routinely short-staffed and in breach of its contract with the state
- Disasters from two generations set the course for Graves Funeral Home in Norfolk