The mother of a two-year-old boy who died last weekend has been arrested and charged.
Christiansburg authorities said an investigation into the boy’s death uncovered a history of physical and sexual abuse.
His mother, 25-year-old Kayla Thomas, was arrested and charged on Wednesday with the following:
- Commit Forcible Sodomy by Engaging in Fellatio with S.M. against the victim’s will by Force, Threat or Intimidation
- Inanimate Object Penetration of a Person Less Than 13 Years of Age
- Production of Child Pornography Involving a Child Less Than 15 Years of Age
- Possession and Distribution of Child Pornography
- Being a Parent or Guardian, Commit a Willful Act So Gross and Wanton as to Show a Reckless Disregard for Human Life – Child Neglect
Thomas is being held in the Western Virginia Regional Jail without bond.
Mckenzie Hellman was charged with child abuse earlier this week in relation to the case. Christiansburg town officials tell us Hellman is Thomas’ boyfriend.
Police responded to the 400 block of Zinc Lane on Friday, January 11 around 9:15 p.m. to find the toddler unresponsive on the floor.
He later died from his injuries on Sunday.
Hellman, who was reportedly watching the child at the time told police the baby had fallen, but investigators said the child’s injuries were not consistent with a fall.
Hellman is being held in the Montgomery County Jail.
The Christiansburg Police Department will hold a press conference Friday morning to talk about these charges and additional charges in this ongoing case.
WFXR will have a crew at the conference and will work to keep you udpated on the latest.