Montgomery County School Board Members voted in favor of building a new elementary school to deal with over capacity levels at elementary schools and the high school.
According to a report by the MCPS, Christiansburg elementary schools are at 115 percent capacity with Christiansburg high school being at 124 percent capacity.
New school lines will be drawn, which will impact 400 students.
Christiansburg High School will go through renovations to make room for 1,400 students.
Important information for families impacted by redistricting:
- New elementary school zones take effect in the 2019-2020 school year.
- Parents will register rising kindergarten students at Falling Branch Elementary School.
- Families with current elementary schoolers will receive an invite to an open house at Falling Branch Elementary School.
- Rising fifth graders will have their choice between Christiansburg Elementary or Falling Branch Elementary Schools. If your child chooses to stay at Christiansburg Elementary, you must provide transportation for your child.
- Student records will transfer automatically.
To find out if your family will be impacted by the redistricting, visit the school’s website.