UPDATE: 9:30 p.m.: The Montgomery County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously in favor of supporting Equal Taxing Authority.
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) – Montgomery County is the latest to consider asking the General Assembly for equal taxing authority.
County officials will be voting on a resolution at Monday night’s meeting.
Under current law, counties do not have the same taxing authority as independent cities and towns.
Cities and towns can set their own meals tax.
The Code of Virginia specifies that voters must pass a referendum before counties can do the same.
- Journey to Tokyo: Richard Torrez
- Alleghany Highlands Forecast
- New River Valley Forecast
- Southside Virginia Forecast
- Central Virginia Forecast