MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Following a number of calls on their office line Tuesday, Montgomery County authorities decided to remind the community of the dangers of scams involving Social Security Numbers.
This Social Security Number vishing — or “voice phishing” — scam involves a caller claiming your Social Security Number has been suspended on account of either suspicious activity or involvement in criminal activity, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
In addition, the caller will reportedly claim your bank account will be seized.
However, the sheriff’s office says the Social Security Administration will not suspend your Social Security Number and will not call to verify your information.
“We stayed on the line and tried to talk, but they kept hanging up…” the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said.
- Iguana causes ‘large scale’ power outage in Florida city
- Here are the 39 House Republicans who backed the same-sex marriage bill
- Roanoke City Public Schools students make strides returning to pre-pandemic academic scores
- White House responds to criticism of Griner prisoner deal
- FBI investigates after shots fired near SC Duke Energy plant