MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Following a number of calls on their office line Tuesday, Montgomery County authorities decided to remind the community of the dangers of scams involving Social Security Numbers.
This Social Security Number vishing — or “voice phishing” — scam involves a caller claiming your Social Security Number has been suspended on account of either suspicious activity or involvement in criminal activity, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
In addition, the caller will reportedly claim your bank account will be seized.
However, the sheriff’s office says the Social Security Administration will not suspend your Social Security Number and will not call to verify your information.
“We stayed on the line and tried to talk, but they kept hanging up…” the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said.
- Pinpoint Weather: Cooler despite more sunshine
- Byrd’s ‘Terrier Thirteen’ taking their talents to the college level
- “The Big Lick Ruck” event brings awareness to military veteran suicides
- VCU calling for permanent ban of Delta Chi fraternity if misconduct allegations related to Adam Oakes’ death are verified
- South Carolina House votes to add firing squad to execution methods