PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — A preliminary hearing for accused Pittsylvania County triple murderer Matthew Bernard has again been delayed.
Bernard faces three first degree murder charges in the deaths of his mother, sister, and nephew last year. He is also charged with three counts of using a firearm to commit a felony.
Bernard had several preliminary hearing delays last year after the August murders of his family. Bernard was later ruled incompetent to stand trial after a psychological evaluation was completed and filed with the court. A court filing asserts Bernard could be rehabilitated to competency “solely on an inpatient basis in a hospital” and stand trial for the murders at a future date.
The rescheduled preliminary hearing is March 18 at 2 p.m. in Pittsylvania Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.
WFXR’s Santiago Melli-Huber contributed to this report.
- Elba Butcher Shoppe opens its doors in Bedford
- Roanoke SCLC and NAACP chapter hold prayer vigil in memory of George Floyd
- Franklin County Department of Public Safety locates missing floaters
- Alleghany Highlands Forecast
- New River Valley Forecast