FRANKLIN COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Just hours after Franklin County first responders searched the river for a person in distress, a fisherman discovered a dead man in the water early Sunday morning.
According to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, a 911 call came in at approximately 9 p.m. on Saturday, July 11 about a person in the river in distress. Both the sheriff’s office and Franklin County Department of Public Safety (FCDPS) responded to the incident in the 5000 block of Brooks Mill Road in Wirtz.
Even though first responders conducted rescue searches overnight, authorities say they could not find the subject in distress and planned to resume the search during daylight hours on Sunday, July 12.
However, early Sunday morning, the sheriff’s office says another 911 call came in from a fisherman who discovered a dead person in the water, who was later identified as 26-year-old Charles Jacob King from Hardy.
Authorities say the investigation into this drowning incident is still ongoing, but they do not suspect foul play at this time.
If you have any information about this incident, contact the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office at (540) 483-3000.
- Roanoke woman celebrates her 106th birthday today with more than 2,600 birthday, greeting cards
- Christiansburg family raises money, creates foundation for local foster children
- 5 Points Music Sanctuary is bringing live music to Wasena
- VT’s Board of Visitors Executive Committee approves renaming of residence halls
- Reopening schools for special ed students complicated decision