ROANOKE, Va. (WXFR) — A man with ties to the Roanoke area charged with attempting to provide material support to terrorists has been ruled competent to stand trial.
That’s according to an order from United States Magistrate Judge James Klindt in Florida handed down Friday, Feb. 28.
WFXR was the first station to break the charges that 30-year-old Romeo Langhorne allegedly tried to create and share a video to teach followers of ISIS how to make bombs.
WFXR spoke with Langhorne’s mother in November ahead of a preliminary hearing.
Virginia Langhorne said her son struggled with mental health issues since he was a young boy and had been diagnosed with disorders including ADHD, psychosis, and schizophrenia.
A psychological evaluation order on Langhorne was entered on Feb. 3. He was seen by licensed psychologist Dr. Jason A. Demery on Feb. 13.
In the evaluation presented to the court during a hearing Thursday, the psychologist said Langhorne understands the charges against him and the possible penalties he could face.
In the evaluation Dr. Demery also wrote “Although I recommend that Mr. Langhorne be found competent at the present time, his mental status should be monitored as it is possible that he could psychologically decompensate without proper treatment and his competency to proceed may become compromised in the future.”
Dr. Demery also stated Langhorne is not currently taking his prescribed medication as the Baker County Jail in Florida does not have it as a treatment option.
Federal agents began investigating Langhorne while he was living in Florida. He briefly lived with his mother in Rocky Mount in 2019.
Langhorne is scheduled for a jury trial on July 6 in United States District Court in Jacksonville.
- Family seeks answers for man missing since 2013
- Roanoke Police say one person in custody after Sunday afternoon shooting
- New River Valley Forecast
- Alleghany Highlands Forecast
- Southside Virginia Forecast