MARTINSVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – A man who is accused of assaulting a female in Martinsville has had his charges upgraded after the victim dies from injuries.
Police say the incident occurred on July 23, 2020 when they responded to a 911 hang-up call to 900 Rives Road.
In the process of responding, they were flagged down by female who was operating a motor vehicle. Police were able to determine that the woman was the person who called 911 from the Rives Road address.
The female was said to have been assaulted at that address and managed to escape. Officers continued to the Rives Road address and found the scene of the crime.
During the investigation, Randy Jurden Largen, 48, was taken into custody and was charged with Breaking and Entering with the intent to commit assault and Aggravated Malicious Wounding.
Police are now saying the woman, identified as Cindera G. Martin, 68, passed away at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
The office of the Chief Medical Examiner Western District has determined the case to be a homicide which has resulted in Largen’s charges being upgraded to First Degree Murder.
Largen is being held without bond at the Martinsville City Jail.
The investigation continues.
- Criminal justice expert, former police officer discusses future of policing following Chauvin verdict
- Forest Service shelters available along southern Appalachian Trail, including George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
- UPDATE: Ferrum College under lockdown procedures while authorities investigating shot fired
- Pinpoint Weather: Windy and Cold Overnight, Dry and Brisk Thursday
- Subaru recalling nearly 875K vehicles over engine, suspension issues