LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The Lynchburg Police Department warns citizens in the area of a recent jury scam.
Police say scammers impersonate government officials like U.S. Marshals or police and say you have missed jury duty and will go to jail unless you pay a fine.
U.S. Marshals protect federal courts, track down fugitives, and transport prisoners. They do not make phone calls in regard to jury duty. Additionally, Virginia Courts have suspended all jury trials through June.
LPD says scammers may be aggressive over the phone and call multiple times.
Do not send money, buy gift cards, or share personal information.
- Eric Trump hosts Latinos for Trump event in Las Vegas Tuesday evening
- Protests, looting in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot Black man Walter Wallace Jr.
- Hospital COVID-19 capacity at 85% in Roanoke City and Alleghany Health Districts
- Vehicle fire cleared on I-81 in Rockbridge County
- Martin Truex, Jr. seeks third straight Martinsville win, spot in Cup final