UPDATE 1/29 9:57 A.M.: The Bedford Fire Marshal’s Office performed an extensive investigation of the fire that affected two businesses on Friday, Jan. 27 on South Bridge Street.
The Fire Marshal says the fire was ruled accidental and caused by an LP Gas appliance malfunction. The fire was fed by LP Gas and spread quickly throughout the building.
UPDATE 1/27 at 7:06 P.M.: The Bedford Fire Department says crews were coming back to the station after responding to a call in the Forest area of the county when they noticed black smoke coming from downtown Bedford.
Firefighters arrived at 10:45 a.m. to find Sisters to Sisters Cafe engulfed in flames. The Peace of Mind Engineering building next door also sustained damage in the fire. The fire was contained within 50 minutes of firefighters arrival. Fire officials say they believe the fire spread so fast because the cafe was closed at the time. The two-story building was deemed a total loss and no one was injured.
Firefighters remained at the scene into the evening to board up windows and clean up. The Bedford Fire Department would like to thank the community for supplying them with food and water during the fire.
UPDATE 1/27 at 1:18 P.M. (WFXR) — The Town of Bedford has reported the Sisters to Sisters Cafe and the Peace of Mind Engineering buildings on South Bridge Street have experienced extensive damage after a fire on January 27.
The Bedford Fire Department has contained the blaze and there are no reported injuries at this time.
BEDFORD, Va. (WFXR) — The Bedford Fire Department says they and multiple agencies are currently working on a commercial structure fire.
The department says the fire is on South Bridge Street in the Town of Bedford.
Officials are asking people to avoid the area as multiple departments and other public safety personnel are working to contain the fire.