UPDATED 5/31: LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The Lynchburg Fire Department is once again stressing the importance of fire safety after a smoke detector alerted neighbors to a fire in their apartment building on May 30.

According to the Department, on Tuesday, neighbors in a downstairs apartment of a home on the 2200 block of Memorial Ave. heard smoke alarms going off upstairs and called emergency responders.

Upon arrival, crews found smoke coming from the second floor and evacuated four individuals from the home. They were able to knock the grease fire that had started on the stove due to unattended cooking materials and had spread throughout the kitchen. One person was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation, but otherwise, there were no injuries.

Lynchburg Fire Department is urging residents to call 434-455-6342 if their home is in need of smoke detectors.