UPDATE: Dog dies in Saturday fire in Moneta; no update regarding injured firefighter

Lynchburg & Central Virginia News

(Photo: Courtesy Bedford Fire Department Facebook)

UPDATE 4 p.m.: The Bedford Fire Department has confirmed that a dog died from the blaze in Moneta that sent a firefighter to the hospital Saturday evening.

According to the department, crews from Moneta, Stewartsville-Chamblissburg, and Bedford were called out for the structure fire just before 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 4 and discovered heavy flames showing from the house.

Fire officials say a search group found and removed a dog while looking through the house, but the dog died from its injuries after failed resuscitation efforts.

In addition, the department says a firefighter from Moneta suffered a medical emergency about 10 minutes into the incident, resulting in a “firefighter down” transmission.

The firefighter was quickly taken out of the house, stabilized, and brought to Roanoke Memorial Hospital before being flown to VCU Medical Center in serious but stable condition.

Bedford County fire officials have yet to provide an update on the firefighter’s condition.

MONETA, Va. (WFXR) — A firefighter was transported to the hospital after a Mayday incident was called while several fire departments were battling a structure fire in Moneta on Saturday.

According to the Bedford County Department of Fire & Rescue, the Bedford 911 Communications Center received a call of a house fire shortly before 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 1291 Oakview Court. It was later determined that the fire was at 1010 Dale Court.

Officials say members of the Moneta Fire Department, Bedford Fire Department, Stewartsville-Chamblissburg Fire Department, and Bedford County Department of Fire & Rescue responded to battle the blaze. Then, at approximately 5:19 p.m., a firefighter declared a Mayday — which is a distress call that is used to signal a crew member is trapped, lost, injured, or missing.

Medics and members of the Forest Fire Department and the Hardy Fire Department reportedly responded to the distress call.

According to fire officials, one firefighter was taken to Roanoke Memorial Hospital and later airlifted to VCU Medical Center in Richmond.

The Bedford County Department of Fire & Rescue announced shortly after 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 5 that the firefighter is in serious but stable condition.

At this time, the cause of the fire and the Mayday incident remain under investigation by the Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office.

For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list

Get breaking news, weather, and sports delivered to your smartphone with the WFXR News app available on [Apple] and [Android]

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News

News Tip Form