LYNCHBURG, Va. (WFXR) — The Lynchburg Police Department (LPD) has received multiple calls from citizens reporting scammers saying are with the LPD and spoofing the department’s phone number.
The scammers claim that the victim missed court and there are charges pending.
Police say these scammers are attempting to gain personal information and funds for “court fees.” The scammers are also spoofing or disguising their phone number to look like it is coming from the LPD.
The Lynchburg Police Department says they do not call citizens about missed court dates, and they do not request or accept money for court fees.
If residents receive a call similar to this, they should hang up the phone. Residents can report this scam to the Federal Trade Commission at (877) 382-2457 or at www.FTC.gov.
- Salem’s Small Business Assistance Grant program deadline extended to Dec. 4th
- Staff member in Danville Public Schools Transportation Department tests positive for COVID-19
- Small businesses in downtown Roanoke receive high turnout for Black Friday
- Instead of Black Friday shopping, many outdoors lovers flocked to Natural Bridge State Park
- You can now buy medical marijuana in Richmond