BEDFORD COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — After an extensive investigation, the Bedford County Fire Marshal’s Office determined that Saturday’s fire in Moneta — which left a family without a home and led to the death of their dog — was accidental.
The Bedford County Department of Fire and Rescue says the fire — which took place at 1010 Dale Court — was reported shortly before 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 4, drawing crews from across Bedford County.
Then, at approximately 5:19 p.m., a Mayday was declared for a firefighter in distress. The firefighter was quickly taken out of the house, stabilized, and brought to Roanoke Memorial Hospital before being flown to Richmond’s VCU Medical Center in serious but stable condition.
According to the department, the injured firefighter was “extubated” on Monday, Dec. 6 and remains in stable condition in the Intensive Care Unit at VCU Medical Center. The firefighter’s medical team hopes she will be relocated to a step-down unit on Wednesday, Dec. 8.
In addition, a search group reportedly found and removed a dog while looking through the house during Saturday’s fire, but the dog died from its injuries after failed resuscitation efforts.
Fire officials say the hot coals from a wood stove clean out were left unattended in a metal bucket on the front porch of the home, right next to kindling and other combustibles, which resulted in the accidental fire.
“A thorough investigation into the events surrounding this incident has begun with an initial focus on collection of physical and audiovisual evidence,” the Bedford County Department of Fire and Rescue said in a statement on Tuesday, Dec. 7. “An analysis team has been assembled to review the yield of that investigation and to make necessary recommendations following determination of what happened, why it happened, and what can be done to reduce the risk of reoccurrence.”
For breaking news delivered to you, subscribe to WFXR’s breaking news email list